2016 - The Worst of Years, and The Best of Years.

I don't think that it will seem terribly controversial for me to state that 2016 has been a crappy year.
The last 365 days has seen some rubbish things happen, not just politically (in my opinion) on both sides of the Atlantic but it has also been a year which has seen more shared loss than usual.
Those in the public eye taken from us too soon aside, I know I am not alone in having experienced personal bereavement this year.

BUT as I always try to focus on the positives, to keep my glass half full 🍷, I can't help but look back at this disparaged year with rather a LOT of fondness.

So, what's to love?

Having been part of the London UG community since the London Admin User Group was established in Autumn '14. 2016 was really the year I switched from consuming content and wisdom from the leaders in our groups, to trying to impart some knowledge of my own, to give back to the community which had supported me so thanklessly. When I now reflect on the year passed, these contributions fill me with pride and purpose.


My 2016 Highlights Include:


January 2016 feels like an age (a year maybe) ago now but it seems the right place to start.
January 11th to be precise when I was asked to talk at the inaugural London's Calling. Having only dipped my toes into public talking at this time, with just a couple of user groups under my belt, the idea completely and utterly terrified me but OH MY am I ever glad I took the plunge. As the event was February 5th, January passed in a whirlwind of nerves and preparation. Thanks for the nudge Simon Goodyear and Jodi Wagner.


London's Calling was obviously my February highlight. It kicked off the month and was an amazing event. My session was so well received that I ignored the dreaded impostor syndrome and was immediately looking around for the next opportunity to repeat the experience.

March was a most excellent month as it was when I was officially unveiled as a co-leader of the London Women in Tech User Group. Leading this group with Jodi and Freya is without doubt a top highlight of the year and each of our monthly meetups is worth the all planning and prep (whether carried out over WhatsApp or brunch).


I spent half of April on holiday in Japan (a personal highlight) but along with planning WiT's April and May meetups (which due to scheduling issues fell in consecutive weeks), I was thrilled to be have a talk accepted for the Salesforce London World Tour. I couldn't wait to take to the stage again and what better stage to follow London's Calling than the biggest Salesforce event behind Dreamforce.

Now May has always been my favourite month (spoiler, it is the month of my birth) but I have to say that 2016's version was particularly memorable. I started the month by being a member of the panel for our WiT event An Evening with Ladies Who Salesforce. It was a very special user group and I was proud to me part of such an illustrious panel.
You probably think that this would be enough of a highlight for one month but OH NO, May had more in store. I was thrilled to be the recipient of the #AwesomeAdmin award and so found myself on a bigger stage. It was just the start of a jam-packed day as I presented my Admin Zone session to a huge crowd, talking them through some key training techniques.



No month had a chance of following the highs of May and so June was on the back foot from the start. The EU referendum result shook my faith in my fellow Brit and was a tough time for many of us to come to terms with. Thankfully June had one high point and that was, on the last day of the month, I had TWO Dreamforce sessions accepted. 

July saw that start of the Speaker Academy run by Jodi Wagner and Keir Bowden 'In Diversity We Trust'. I had to persuade them to take me on as a student as I had already spoken at events but I knew I could learn SO much from these two pros. I talk more about the classes on my previous post #AlwaysLearning here.

August included another first when I was a guest on Mike Gerholdt and Gillian Bruce's ButtonClick Admin Podcast. I had an absolute blast recording it and it still makes me giggle when I listen back.

August also saw the first ever Surf Force, a user group with a difference. I was honoured to present Salesforce Administrator - An Awesome Career Choice. It was my 4th speaking slot of the year and just added to my desire to keep along this road. I ended the month by presenting a lightning talk at the London Developer User Group, I was on a roll!

Come September the whole community's focus was on Dreamforce and I was no different. I was appointed an Audience Ranger for the Admin Keynote and I was super excited to represent my community and help make the event as vibrant as possible. I was crazy nervous about my TWO Dreamforce sessions but I followed all the advice and practised until I could practice no more. This included presenting one of the sessions Gamification - The Trail to Awesome Adoption with Jodi, at the London Admin User Group. It was very well received and reassured us our hard work would pay off.


October = Dreamforce. I've said it all on my post Dreamforce: My Second Attempt it was awesome in oh so many ways. To have presented, twice, at Dreamforce is undoubtedly THE highlight of my 2016.

Just like June had to follow a Marvellous May, November had the unenviable task of following an Outstanding October. And just like June, a political dark cloud consumed the month of November and left so many of us disappointed, despondent, and depressed.

As I crawled towards the end of the year, I thought that all my highlights were in the past but December had one treat in store when, just as I had given up hope, Simon announced the speakers for London's Calling 2017 and YES! my name was on the list.

It looks like I am going to pick up 2017 where 2016 left off and you know what, that suits me just fine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Customising the Help Menu!

Trailhead: The Salesforce CPD Scheme

Preparing for Community Events